Friday, March 7, 2008

Mad Skilz

I am going to enter a "Furniture Build-Off" contest. I need your help picking out an item that I should build for the contest.

The rules require that I make the best piece of furniture, that I can, from a single board of maple, 10 ft. long x 10 in. wide x 2 in. thick (no more than 17 board feet in total).

I will submit my entry with (3) photos, which will be judged:
a. Quality of Design 60%
b. Craftsmanship 40%

What should I make with the board? A sofa table? A children's bookcase carousel? Maybe a night stand with a drawer? I could stain some of the project for contrast. The possibilities are endless. One guy said, "In the hands of a craftsman, one board has a thousand possible lives." I hope to find one.

The top (24) entries will be selected by the Judges and advance to the “Semi-Final” round. Then, the contest turns into American Idol for wood builder nerds. The semi-final projects will be displayed on their Website and website-viewers vote to advance their favorite one.

So what do you think? Here are some ideas, I thought about building. Which one has the best 'wow' factor? ...or suggest an even better idea. Thanks.




The sofa table




The Bookcase Carousel




The Night Stand




Contest Website

8 comments:

Heather said...

Yes babe, but HOW MUCH MONEY will we win?!

Is it that kind of a contest?

Like a woodworker lottery?

Vegas style buildin'?

I need a nap.

Heather said...

picky picky.

I vote for the carousel. (but I already told you that.)

I hereby vote for the carousel.

Better?

brad said...

Thanks for your comments, sweetie. If I am fortunate enought to win, I (we) will win really cool tools, no money.

I like the carousel as well, but will it 'wow' the judges and everyone else?

Grandma said...

Of those three choices, I vote for the sofa table, but can you make that with a 10' x 10" length of a single board? All of the choices look like they need more material. I think the wow would be in the sofa table. However, I have always loved the bookcase you built for the Pit. Fine workmanship! I know that took more material. Good luck. Keep me in the loop. Could you use any of the three choices? I suppose the carousel would be the most useful for your household. But whatever you choose, make it really fancy with a lot of routing on it.

MissLed said...

I vote for the carousel too. I would be wowed buy any one of those choices, but the carousel moves -that gives it a little extra wow factor for me.

What kind of tools do you win? Maybe your wife and I could borrow them to make a craft sometime. We made some pretty amazing crafts out of a single piece of wood once. I wonder if there is a contest for that?

heidiram said...

If I vote, do I get to keep whatever you make? I vote for the carousel. Really cool. Sarah would love it. Thanks in advance for thinking of her.

AnnEE said...

I too like the carousel, but only if you stain it a cool color. The one in the picture is kind of cool. Jason thanks you in advance for the use of your tools. :o)

Karen said...

I think you need a new idea to the list. Though I like the sofa table cause it looks "fine" but the bookcase moving action isnt going to be fully appreiecated by still photos. how about something small like a foot stool that has hidden compartments, or suprises. Tips from karen: I think the wow comes in when what you see isnt all that you get. The overall outlined shape is very important. The photos can show detail without being distracted by an unimpressive scale.