Sunday, March 2, 2008

Quality Garage Time

I've had a week off of school (which typically takes a lot of my free time in the evenings and weekends). With my break, I decided to have a little fun in the garage and build a cabinet for our media center equipment, located downstairs in the basement. I've been thinking and wanting to do it for a long time. The equipment has been on a cardboard box ever since I finished our basement a year ago.

The Before


Here are some "before" pictures. This one below is a picture looking down at the back of our entertainment center area. The next shows the view of our equipment on the cardboard box.

the before - rear
the Before

After
This is what I came up with.  The cabinet is about 22 x 32 x 24 (W x H x D), made from select pine and stained an espresso color (dark brown) and finished with a few coats of a wipe on urethane oil-based top coat. The legs are silver metal (brushed nickel). I think they look fantastic; I bought them here.




I made the drawers using wood craftsman techniques I learned from Norm with dove-tail joints, etc.  I mounted them on full extension drawer slides (they can also hold 100lbs. each). I think the unusual part of my drawers is that I used separated steel for the platforms instead of solid wood. I want the air inside the cabinet to be able to flow freely and help cool the equipment, plus I think it looks good.




You will also notice that I added cable management arms.  These will help keep all of the media equipment wires organized and untangled.  I saved these arms from when I replaced some servers at work.  I had to modify them to work properly in this application, but they will do nicely.




Here is a view from the back.  It is open on the back; I plan to mount it directly to the wall.




When I finished our basement, I designed an exhaust vent (shown here) to be placed behind the entertainment equipment and 'suck out' the hot air from the media center cabinet. Typically this equipment gets very hot and attracts a lot of dust. Hopefully, along with the air-filter (next picture) this vent system will solve the heat and dust issue.




As I mentioned above, I added a set of air-filters at the bottom. The filters can be changed by removing the wood panel at the bottom with a couple of hidden screws underneath.




Here's a view from top, showing the cable management arms and the air filters at the very bottom.

note: I don't have a top yet. I'm waiting on my neighbor (who is finishing his basement) for a leftover piece of corian that will match perfectly. If the corian doesn't work out for some reason, I'll build a top in the same style and out of the same material as the rest of the cabinet.




Special thanks to my Mom, who for my birthday, bought me some great tools that I used on the project. Thanks Mom.

5 comments:

Grandma said...

It's beautiful, and you are welcome.

ashli said...

Brad-
amazing craftsmanship! The things you learn about people through blogging are awesome....thanks for showing your talent and hard work! It looks fabulous!
ashli

heidiram said...

Bradfo: That is simply amazing. Now when are you going to come to Orlando and build us one? Happy Birthday!

Celia Fae said...

Skip school. Make everyone some stuff like that. We'd pay big bucks.

Hi Brad! Happy birthday! I like your Blogging For Men. I can't wait to read about some engines or something.

Karen said...

What amazing care and attention to detail! Its way nicer than anything you could have purchased for any amount. custome rules! You did such a great job, that you made it look like it was easy for you. crazy that you could acomplish that in a week. yep, that's MY brother.